Here are the high-level steps for installing SFSS on ESXi:
- Install the SFSS vApp.
- Modify the adapters if necessary.
- Power on the SFSS vApp.
- Reset the admin user password.
- From the vSphere client, select Hosts and Clusters, and then right-click and select the Deploy OVF Template option.
- On the Select an OVF template page, point to the location of the SFSS OVA file and click NEXT.
- Select a name and folder for the VM, and then click NEXT.
- On the Select a compute resource page, select a compute resource. Note: This example uses esxi01.
- Click NEXT.
- Click NEXT on the Review details page.
- On the License agreements page, accept the agreement and click NEXT.
- On the Select storage page, first select the datastore, ensuring that Compatibility checks succeeded is displayed. Then, change Select virtual disk format to Thin Provision. Note: You must select the datastore before selecting the Virtual disk format. If you select the disk format first, you may lose the setting after selecting the datastore.
- Click NEXT.
- On the Select networks page, change the required Destination Networks to the values as planned in the initial configuration worksheet. In this example, three interfaces are required and the following Source and Destination networks are used:
Source network Destination network VM Network C01-Management SAN Network 1 C01-NVMeTCP-SAN-A-SFSS SAN Network 2 C01-NVMeTCP-SAN-B-SFSS
- Click NEXT.
- In the Customize template section, the management interface settings information is provided. The following example data are used in this guide:
You can track the progress from the Recent Tasks section at the bottom of the vCenter page. The Import and Deploy tasks function may take several minutes to complete.
- Hostname:sfss Note: The VM’s internal hostname must not contain periods. For this reason, do not use the FQDN in this step as a period will be converted to a dash. For example, sfss.dell.lab changes to sfss-dell-lab. See the Modify Hostname in SFSS section in this guide for more information.
- IP Address: 172.18.11.57 This is the management IP address for SFSS.
- Prefix Length: 24
- Gateway: 172.18.11.254
- If the default subnets assigned to internal networks are already in use elsewhere, change the default subnet to an unused subnet.
- For security reasons, SSH is disabled by default but can be enabled later through the console if necessary.
- Review the settings shown on the Ready to complete page and click FINISH to deploy the VM.
- Continue to the next section once Status is Completed on each Task.
- Dell Technologies recommends that you disconnect unused network adapters by clearing the Connected check box for each one. Right-click the sfss.dell.lab VM, select Edit Settings. In vSphere 7.0, deselect the Connected checkboxes for each unused adapter. In vSphere 7.0 and 8.0, expand each unused adapter and deselect the Connect at Power On checkbox.