Figure 15. ESXi Host Networking for NVMe/TCP with SFSS
A VMware ESXi host, including VxRail, has the follow virtual network requirements:
- Two ports, preferably dedicated to NVMe/TCP storage traffic only
- Two NVMe/TCP Software Storage Adapters (vmhbas)
- Two NVMe/TCP VMKernel Ports (vmks) with IPs in separate subnets
Note: Two VMKernel ports are required since CDC registrations cannot fail over from one vmhba to another. This differs from iSCSI which does not involve registration and can leverage network port mapping.
Note: Contact your Dell Sales Representative or https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop?showMessage=1#ITInfrastructure for non-standard configurations.
- Two Port Groups with different VLANs for the VMKernel ports.
- Teaming should not be configured. Each Port Group must have only one Active Uplink because vmhbas cannot failover or load balance.
- A subnet can only be used on one interface per host.