Elastic Stack on Dell EMC VxRail
- In the tested configuration, we set the RAM amount for a virtual system to either 32 GB or 64 GB. We recommend configuring up to 64 GB RAM for each virtual machine.
- In the tested configuration, we set the JVM Heap size to 50% of the RAM amount, with a maximum JVM Heap size of 30 GB. Keep at least 50% RAM available for other purposes.
- If Elasticsearch must scale vertically, then add more vCPUs.
- Start with a proof of concept, then test, optimize, iterate, and scale your solution.
- Elasticsearch recommends increasing the limit of File descriptors to 65,536.
- Disable the swap file.
- Depending on your SLAs, you may not need to see data refreshed each second. Increase the refresh interval to larger values depending on your use case and SLA to improve overall performance.
- Benchmarking VM with Rally should run on a different VM that is not part of the Elasticsearch cluster.
- For more information on best practices, see this Blog – Seven tips for better elasticsearch benchmarks
- Additionally, you may find more useful information at Important Elasticsearch configuration