It is vital to plan for the environment that is used for deploying PowerProtect Data Manager, and to facilitate adequate resources to achieve optimal performance of PowerProtect Data Manager.
The PowerProtect Data Manager software appliance is easy to install and configure. You can deploy the PowerProtect Data Manager Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) using one of the following methods:
- Manually deploying the OVA to a VMware vCenter server: Use this method to deploy the OVA to a stand-alone or cluster host while logged into the vCenter server. This method allows you to configure the network settings during deployment.
- Manually deploying the OVA to a VMware ESXi host: Use this method to deploy the OVA while logged in to an ESXi host. Use the VM console to configure the network settings after the deployment completes.
The minimum resource requirements to deploy a PowerProtect Data Manager in vSphere 6.0 and above are as follows:
- 10 CPU cores
- 18 GB RAM
- 700 GB disk space
If you plan to use Cloud DR, your system must also meet the following requirements:
See Interoperability and limits to check for interoperability.
Follow these best practices:
- Deploy the PowerProtect Data Manager Software on an external vCenter Server.
- Create a dedicated PowerProtect vCenter user and avoid using vCenter administrator credentials.
- Create a dedicated PowerProtect Data Domain BOOST User for Data Domain Discovery.
See the PowerProtect Data Manager Deployment Guide for more deployment information.