ECS is deployed on a set of qualified industry standard hardware or as a turnkey storage appliance. The main components of ECS are the:
- ECS Portal and Provisioning Services - API-based WebUI and CLI for self-service, automation, reporting, and management of ECS nodes. This layer also handles licensing, authentication, multi-tenancy, and provisioning services such as namespace creation.
- Data Services - Services, tools and APIs to support object and file access to the system.
- Storage Engine - Core service responsible for storing and retrieving data, managing transactions, and protecting and replicating data locally and between sites.
- Fabric - Clustering service for health, configuration, and upgrade management and alerting.
- Infrastructure - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 for the base operating system in the turnkey appliance or qualified Linux operating systems for industry standard hardware configuration.
- Hardware - A turnkey appliance or qualified industry standard hardware.
The following figure shows a graphical view of these layers which are described in detail in the sections that follow.
Figure 1. ECS architecture layers