The Dell Validated Design for Data Analytics – Data Lakehouse draws on the strength of multiple Dell platforms. These platforms have been carefully chosen for their ability to handle compute-intensive workloads and scale to the demanding needs of data lakehouse environments.
- The Dell PowerEdge R650 server is perfectly matched for compute-intensive workloads while also minimizing the data center footprint through it 1U form factor. The PowerEdge R650 design enables business to easily scale while still handling challenging and emerging workloads. This dual-socket compute platform is perfectly matched to the management and control needs for the solution’s control nodes. Control nodes handle the resource allocation, scheduling, system monitoring while also maintaining state across the cluster.
- The worker nodes handle all the “heavy lifting” for the solution. The choice of the Dell PowerEdge R750 server easily handles the containerized environment, with the ability to change based on the workload demands and compute needs. The full featured enterprise server features a flexible 2U enclosure which provides the additional room for adding I/O bandwidth and storage capacity. Extensive GPU and storage support bring the ultimate in flexibility for workloads.
- The Dell PowerSwitch S5248F-ON delivers the top of rack switching. It is a 25 GbE/100 GbE open networking switch that provides state-of-the-art, high-density switching. The open networking capability provides extra flexibility for changing network configurations. The software defined networking enables a communications fabric that can change and adapt to the containerized compute cluster. The fabric optimizes communications paths with the compute demands as workloads are deployed and shift across the worker nodes.
- The Dell PowerScale H5600 hybrid storage platform delivers a versatile yet simple scale-out storage architecture accessing massive amounts of data. With scalability of up to 1.28 PB per chassis and up to 8 GB/s of data bandwidth, the PowerScale H5600 can support demanding data lakehouse environments. The OneFS powered scalable storage brings the ability to speed access to massive unstructured data stores that can help feed data-hungry applications and analytics. The H5600 achieves up to 80% storage utilization compared with the 50% of traditional storage solutions. It is better suited for the demands of data lakehouses and continually changing underlying compute models.
- Some data lakehouse include workloads that demand both unstructured data storage and object-based storage. The Dell ECS EX500 delivers the perfect blend of economy and density for modern applications or deep archive environments. With scalability of up to 16 nodes, the ECS EX500 can handle up to 6,144 TB of unstructured storage per rack. Dell ECS enables enterprise-grade cloud scale storage for unstructured (object and file) storage while maintaining control, in a private cloud environment. The software-defined storage is layered to help enable a limitless scalability while maintaining the abstraction that promotes high availability.