Physical host configuration
On the R740xd host:
- Set the BIOS System Profile to Performance.
- If the ambient temperature is not cool enough, consider changing the iDRAC Thermal Profile to Maximum Performance. This configuration reduces the probability of thermal throttling of the CPU and GPUs. For more information, see the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 Version 18.104.22.168 User's Guide.
- Size the virtual CPUs of the workstation VMs within the NUMA node boundaries of the physical processors. For more information, see Virtual Machine vCPU and vNUMA Rightsizing – Rules of Thumb.
- Choose and set the appropriate GPU scheduler for your workload and use case. The following section shows the available GPU scheduler options are given below.
- Best Effort (Default)
- Equal Share
- Fixed Share
For more information, see Nvidia's virtual GPU software documentation.
Workstation VM configuration
On the workstation VM:
- Set the VMware Horizon Blast Max Frame Rate to 60 using the registry key or GPO. For more information, see VMware Blast Policy Settings.
- Using the VMware Horizon Performance Tracker in the Virtual Workstation VM, ensure that the Protocol is Blast and the Encoder Name is NVIDIA NvEnc H264, as shown in the following figure. The recommended protocol for running graphics workloads in a VMware Horizon environment is Blast Extreme. The following figure shows the VMware Horizon Performance Tracker settings:
Figure 3. VMware Horizon Performance Tracker settings for your workstation VM
3. Ensure that the monitor refresh rate is set to 60 Hz in the NVIDIA Control Panel within the Virtual Workstation VM.
- In the NVIDIA Control Panel, consider using the Dassault Systemes – V5 3D Experience Global Preset when running the Catia application, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 4. NVIDIA Control Panel settings for your workstation VM