VMware Tanzu is a portfolio of products and services for building, running and managing modern applications on any cloud. It simplifies multi-cloud operations while freeing developers to move faster with easy access to the right resources. VMware Tanzu enables development and operations teams to work together in new ways that deliver transformative business outcomes.
The prominent use cases are:
- Modernize existing applications - customers may decide to containerize existing workloads to run in the cloud for quick gains in security and manageability or rearchitect and rewrite existing, business-critical applications to be continuously delivered and resilient. Simultaneously, they can modernize their IT infrastructure to simplify the operations, with security, stability, and scale in mind.
- Improve developer experience - with Tanzu, developers are set up with a complete software supply chain that can get them to production fast and continuously. They can deliver software quickly with a secure, automated platform. They can access a self-service catalog of open-source building blocks such as application components, databases, and runtimes. They can also maintain the visibility of applications in production to troubleshoot faster and improve them.
- Speed Kubernetes enterprise adoption - VMware Tanzu addresses the Day 1 and Day 2 Kubernetes operations burden with a complete, easy-to-upgrade Kubernetes runtime with pre-integrated and validated components. It enables customers to run the same K8s across data center, public cloud, and edge for a consistent, secure experience for all development teams. It also can be used with existing data center tools and workflows to give developers secure, self-serve access to conformant Kubernetes in customers' VMware private clouds.
- Simplify cloud migration - migration to the cloud is not only about the infrastructure, but more about having applications that can run in the cloud. VMware Tanzu and Pivotal Labs help customers modernize existing applications and show the best way to build new, cloud-native apps. Customers can migrate their apps to the cloud when they are ready and get the portability they need to move to different clouds as operations require.
- Centrally manage clouds, clusters, and apps - VMware Tanzu provides centralized lifecycle and policy management for customer's all Kubernetes clusters across multiple teams and clouds. For customers deploying microservices, Tanzu can scale with complete service mesh management. Customers also get an observability platform that enables every team to understand how applications are operating - and resolve issues in real-time before they impact the business.
VMware Tanzu portfolio is illustrated in Figure 39. It is divided into the following categories:
- Tanzu Application Service - an intrinsically secure, scalable platform that automates the release and operation of software, optimized for Spring, .NET, Go, Node.js, and more.
- Tanzu Application Catalog - a customizable selection of open source, production-ready containers from the Bitnami collection.
- Tanzu Build Service - automation for creating, managing, and governing containers at an enterprise scale.
- Tanzu Data Services - a bundle of data and messaging services (GemFire, RabbitMQ, and SQL) providing an on-demand data layer for real-time, modern apps.
- Spring - the world's most popular Java framework that accelerates cloud-native development.
- Tanzu Kubernetes Grid - an enterprise-ready Kubernetes runtime that streamlines operations across the multi-cloud infrastructure. This runtime is also integrated as a service in vSphere 7 with Kubernetes so you can run and manage your modern apps alongside your existing software.
- Tanzu Mission Control - centralized management to consistently operate and secure your Kubernetes infrastructure and modern apps across multiple teams and clouds.
- Tanzu Service Mesh - end-to-end operational networking, visibility, and security for microservices across any runtime and any cloud.
- Tanzu Observability - a single platform for observing and analyzing infrastructure and application health across the multi-cloud enterprise.
- With VMware Tanzu Labs, customers can implement a modern way of building and operating software. Tanzu Labs helps to jumpstart application development and modernization initiatives in a results-driven, iterative way. It enables customers to create new cloud-native apps, modernize existing apps, operate their platform as a product, and transform operations with Kubernetes.
Figure 39. VMware Tanzu portfolio
For the latest information about VMware Tanzu, please visit VMware Tanzu website: https://tanzu.vmware.com/.