Appendix D: VMware Cloud Foundation
Key features and capabilities
- Integrated stack: An engineered solution that integrates the entire VMware software-defined stack with guaranteed interoperability, freeing organizations from dealing with complex interoperability matrixes.
- Enterprise-grade services, based on VMware technologies: vSphere, vSAN, NSX, and vRealize Suite delivering enterprise-ready cloud infrastructure services for both traditional and containerized applications.
- Built-in intrinsic security delivers network-level micro-segmentation, distributed firewalls and Virtual Private Network (VPN), compute-level encryption for VM, hypervisor and vMotion, and storage-level encryption for data at rest and clusters.
- Self-driving operations enable self-driving health, performance, capacity, and configuration management to scale and manage the environment efficiently.
- Self-service automation automates the delivery of IaaS and application services via blueprints (templates) that bind compute, storage, networking, and security resources through policies.
- Standardized architecture automatically deploys a hyper-converged architecture based on a VMware Validated Designs for SDDC, ensuring quick, repeatable deployments while eliminating risk of misconfiguration.
- Storage elasticity and high performance implements a hyper-converged architecture with all-flash performance and enterprise-class storage services including deduplication, compression, and erasure coding.
- Automated lifecycle management includes unique lifecycle management services that automates day 0 to day 2 operations, from deployment to configuration of the cloud environment, to on-demand provisioning of infrastructure clusters (workload domains) to patching/upgrades of the complete software stack.
- Automated deployment automates the bring-up process of the entire software platform, including creation of the management cluster, configuration of storage, deployment of platform components/management VMs, and provisioning using standardized architecture designs.
- Workload domain and cluster provisioning enables on-demand provisioning of isolated infrastructure clusters to separate workloads.
- Simplified patching and upgrades enable a simplified patching/upgrading process of the software platform (including VMware vCenter Server®). Cloud admins have the flexibility to choose the timing and scope of the updates.
- Simple path to hybrid cloud dramatically simplifies the path to hybrid cloud by delivering a common platform for private and public clouds, enabling a consistent operational experience and the ability to quickly and easily move workloads at scale across clouds without re-architecting applications, leveraging VMware HCX.