Install Remote Desktop Services (RDS) to manage user access, optimize connections, and create desktop and server images.
Review Build and deploy your Remote Desktop Services deployment.
The following procedure assumes that Server 2016 VMs have been created for the RDS management roles (that is, Connection Broker, Web Access). In addition, the Hyper-V role is required on each host with the RDS Virtualization host installed. To be available in the RDS deployment, all servers must be added to Server Manager.
- From Server Manager on one of the servers in the Storage Spaces Direct cluster, click Manage and select Add Roles and Features.
- On the Before you begin screen, click Next.
- Under Select installation type, select Remote Desktop Services and click Next.
- Under Select deployment type, select Standard deployment and click Next.
- Under Select deployment scenario, select Virtual machine-based desktop deployment and click Next.
- On the Review role services screen, click Next.
- On the Specify RD Connection Broker server screen, choose one of the management servers that was previously added to Server Manager from the Server Pool and click the arrow button to add the server to the Selected list.
Note: During initial deployment, you can select only one Connection Broker.
- On the Specify RD Web Access server screen, select one of the servers from the Server Pool and click the arrow button to add the server to the Selected list.
- During initial deployment, you can select only one Web Access server.
- You can also install the Web Access server on the Connection Broker.
- On the Specify RD Virtualization Host server screen, select all of the Hyper-V servers in the cluster that will host VDI sessions and click the arrow button to add them to the Selected list.
- The RD Virtualization Host role service is installed on all the servers that you select.
- The RD Virtualization Host role service might require a server restart.
- On the Confirm selections screen, select Restart destination servers automatically, if required. Confirm your selections and click Deploy.
The View progress dialog box shows the progress of the installation. RD Virtualization host servers might restart during the deployment. Remote desktop service components are installed on the selected servers. If the current server restarts, this dialog box appears when the user logs on again.