For factory-installed servers, Dell EMC recommends the following settings for an SAP HANA solution:
- Memory Configuration Type: Performance Optimized
- BIOS and Advance System Configuration Settings: Performance Optimized
- Advanced System Configurations: UEFI BIOS Boot Mode with GPT Partition
Dell EMC recommends the following performance settings in the PowerEdge System BIOS:
- Physical SAP HANA configuration:
- Virtualization Technology: Disabled
- Virtual SAP HANA configuration:
- Logical Processors: Enabled
- Virtualization Technology: Enabled
Configuring BIOS settings on a PowerEdge server
Note: The following steps are performed on a PowerEdge R940 server for illustration purposes. The steps might vary on different server models.
You can change system BIOS settings in various different locations, as follows:
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) UI: Set the First Boot Device/Next boot to BIOS Boot Manager.
- OpenManage: Enter the BIOS by pressing F2 during restart.
- System BIOS:
- To access the processor settings, select System BIOS > System BIOS Settings > Processor Settings, as shown in the following figure::
Figure 8. PowerEdge R940 System BIOS settings
The processor settings are displayed, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 9. PowerEdge R940 Processor settings
- To access Memory Operating Mode, select System BIOS > System BIOS Settings > Memory Settings, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 10. PowerEdge R940 Memory Operating Mode setting
Dell EMC recommends the following best practices for configuring the PowerEdge servers:
- Use the latest BIOS and firmware.
- Use the latest vendor-subscribed host bus adapter (HBA) drivers.
- Enable Intel Hyper-Threading.
For more information, see the Architecture Guidelines and Best Practices for Deployments of SAP HANA on VMware vSphere: Architecture and Technical Considerations Guide.
For detailed deployment architecture and recommended settings for all your hardware and software components, contact your Dell EMC sales representative.