Traditionally, application owners worked collaboratively with the IT organization to design a new database platform. The multivendor process took months and required extensive research and analysis to ensure that all the components worked together. Without any assurance that the new system would perform as expected, the endeavor also entailed significant risk.
Dell EMC Ready Solutions, such as Ready Solutions for Oracle, transform the design, buy, and build process by providing a fully integrated and tested platform. In designing Ready Solutions for Oracle, we focus on key priorities such as performance, resiliency, and automation. Ready Solutions for Oracle with Dell EMC XtremIO X2 fully integrate these components:
- Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 and R940 servers
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4
- VMware vSphere 6.5
- Dell EMC Networking
- Dell EMC XtremIO X2 storage
- Complete testing with customer-purchased Oracle 12c Release 2 and Oracle 11g Release 2 databases
- Dell EMC Data Domain 6300 storage
This paper focuses on the configuration that includes R740 and R940 servers, however, the R840 server is also supported. Ready Solutions for Oracle can also be based on a VMAX system configuration.
By eliminating the time-consuming and complex process of designing a system, this pretested, prevalidated solution streamlines the purchase and update cycles for the IT organization. It also accelerates delivery times of complex mission-critical databases and applications. Features of this Ready Solution for Oracle include:
- Sub-0.85 millisecond latencies for OLTP databases and applications such as ERP and CRM systems with higher IOPS, network throughput, and transactions per second
- High density of IOPS for greater database consolidation
- High throughput for OLTP and mixed workloads
- Inline deduplication and compression to increase space savings without impacting database performance
- Integration with VMware vSphere for centralized virtualization management
- Automated database copies, repurposing, and protection with Dell EMC XtremIO Virtual Copy (XVC)
- Provisioning XtremIO LUN and presentation with a few clicks in XtremIO WebUI
Designed to modernize how databases are managed, Ready Solutions for Oracle are:
- Engineered—Compute, networking, and storage integrated with prerequisites and dependencies have been tested to deliver a seamless solution experience.
- Agile—A modern Oracle management experience with simpler and intuitive provisioning capabilities featuring 3-step database creation provides faster time to value.
- Optimized—Proven and documented consistent performance, simpler management 3-step storage provisioning, higher data reduction (while creating faster snapshots) and resiliency best practices ensure a highly effective Oracle database environment.