Dell Technologies labs conducted a thorough test on updating the component firmware and Windows Server 2019 operating system drivers on a four-node cluster with AX nodes. Two different approaches for updates were chosen:
- A fully automated, cluster-aware approach enabled by Dell OpenManage Integration with Windows Admin Center
- A manual approach enabled by the iDRAC
The results revealed the great benefits that automation can provide for the Life Cycle Management (LCM) of AX nodes. The following are some ways in which an organization can benefit from automation provided by the Dell OpenManage Integration with Microsoft Windows Admin Center 1.
Based directly on testing a four-node cluster in the lab, the automated approach:
- Required 82 percent fewer steps
- Required 90 percent less focused attention from an IT operator
- Reduced by 40 percent the total time required and the resulting maintenance window
- Minimized risk caused by IT operator data entry mistakes or installation option guesswork
For more information about the Life Cycle Management approach, see the white paper Dell HCI Solutions for Microsoft Windows Server: Life Cycle Management Approach Comparison.
The Sizing and Configuration Best Practices chapter describes several Dell tools for planning, designing, and deploying your data centers, using a methodical approach. It also showcases best practices and example configurations to help you choose the right solution, based on the needs of your organization.