In the preceding use case, we showed the manual provisioning of a container with persistent storage from the XtremIO X2 array. The next step in our journey is automating the provisioning of containers and storage, further accelerating the provisioning of the software development environment. Container orchestration becomes essential when hundreds or thousands of containers must be managed. In this use case, a developer provisions a SQL Server container along with database storage by using Kubernetes with the CSI plug-in as a platform as a service (PaaS).
In Use Case 2:
- The Kubernetes administrator performs a custom installation of Kubernetes.
- The storage administrator works with the Kubernetes administrator to install the XtremIO X2 CSI plug-in.
- The developer provisions a SQL Server and REST API container, using Kubernetes.
- The developer creates a copy of the AdventureWorks database, using the CSI plug-in.
- The developer modifies the database data and protects the database state, using XtremIO Virtual Copies.
- The tester performs destructive testing.
- The developer recovers the modified SQL Server database.
- The technical writer provisions the modified SQL database.
- The developer removes the containers and cleans up the environments.