Integrating Smart Scale with PPDM consists of the following steps:
- Create the Data Center, deploy the DDNVM. Using the DDMC UI, create a system pool with pool access IP.
- While adding storage in PPDM, instead of PowerProtect DD systems, select PowerProtect DD Management Center and provide additional details such as the DDMC host name and its credentials.
- Under Infrastructure, the Storage pane lists all system pools that are available in the DDMC in addition to DD.
- At policy creation time on the PPDM server, select the storage pool as the storage name (instead of the DDR / DDVE) while adding the target for the primary backup.
- To initiate backup, the PPDM server sends a request to the client. Rather than requesting a DD Boost connection directly with a DD series appliance, the client agent makes the connection request to the Namespace Redirection service through a well-known IP address called pool access IP. The policy’s storage unit name is passed as part of this request.
- DD Boost authenticates the connection and requests the physical location of the storage unit from the Namespace Redirection service. When the DD system on which the mobile storage unit lives is determined, DD Boost disconnects from the Namespace Redirection service, and connects to the system to write the data.
Note: Quick recovery is not supported in Smart Scale.