Did integrating Data Domain into the Ready Solution for SAP HANA Scale-out meet our goals in protecting the HANA database?
- Faster Backups―Using Data Domain with DDBEA delivered faster backups. The first full data backup took 56.5 minutes while our second and third backups took, respectively, 14 minutes and 13.8 minutes, a time savings of 3X compared to our first backup.
- Minimal CPU usage―The average additional CPU usage never went above 2.7 percent on our Ready Solution for SAP HANA Scale-out. The results show that DDBEA had a minimal CPU impact during our backups.
- Low network throughput―The first full data backup took an average of 704 MB/s, while the throughput dropped to 183 MB/s and 117 MB/s for the second and third backups. DDBEA client-side deduplication offers a substantial network throughput savings.
- Data Domain compression―The first full data backup provided a savings of 353.5 MB on the Data Domain appliance. However, the value of Data Domain compression is highlighted with the second and third backups, which took 158.4 MB and 99.6 MB respectively.
- Total compression ratio―The higher the TCR, the greater the increase in space savings on the Data Domain system. The first full data backup had a total compression ratio of 1.3, while the second and third backups showed the ongoing value of Data Domain with ratios of 21.3 and 36.9.
- Fast SAP HANA recovery―Dell EMC engineers were able to recover the 2.96 TB SAP HANA database in 35 minutes by using Data Domain with SAP HANA Studio. Fast database recovery minimizes the impact of the unplanned outage to the organization.
Data Domain protection provides a substantial benefit to data protection operations because it can back up new SAP HANA databases quickly and provides long-term benefits by lowering network throughput and delivering a significant space savings through deduplication and compression.