The ESXi Direct Console User Interface (DCUI) is used to configure the VxRail Manager IP address and VLAN for remote deployment on the External Management network.
Before proceeding, ensure all of the nodes planned for the VxRail initial build are connected to the leaf switches and powered on. Allow a few minutes for the VxRail primary node election to complete.
- In a browser, connect to the iDRAC of the VxRail primary node and launch the iDRAC virtual console. Note: The node with the lowest PSNT value is selected by default as the primary node.
- In the ESXi DCUI, press F2 to log in to the VxRail node as root. The VxRail default password is Passw0rd!.
- Select Enter to enable the shell. and press
- Press Esc twice to return to the main DCUI screen.
- Press Alt+F1 to access the ESXi shell. Log in as root.
- Verify the VxRail Manager VM is running on this node by running the command
esxcli network vm list.
- Configure the VxRail Manager IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and External Management network VLAN using the following command:
vxrail-primary --config --vxrail-address 172.18.11.72 --vxrail-netmask 255.255.255.0 --vxrail-gateway 172.18.11.254 --vlan 1811
- The command completes and the following success messages display:
- Confirm the VLANs are configured correctly by running the
esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup listcommand.
The Management Network and VM Network should now be in the External Management VLAN specified in the previous command, 1811 in this example. The Private Management Network and Private VM Network remain in VLAN 3939.
- Confirm you can ping the VxRail manager IP address, 172.18.11.72 in this example, from the remote deployment workstation.
- Type exit to log out of the shell.
- In a browser on the remote deployment workstation, connect to the IP address configured on the VxRail Manager, 172.18.11.72 in this example. The Dell EMC VxRail Deployment Wizard displays.