The ESXi Direct Console User Interface (DCUI) on one of the VxRail nodes is used to configure VxRail Manager for remote deployment on the External Management network. This node will be set as the primary node and will host the VxRail Manager VM during deployment.
- In a browser, connect to the iDRAC of the VxRail node and launch the iDRAC virtual console.
- In the ESXi DCUI, press F2 to log in to the VxRail node as root. The VxRail default password is Passw0rd!.
- Select Enter to enable the shell. and press
- Press Esc twice to return to the main DCUI screen.
- Press Alt+F1 to access the ESXi shell. Log in as root.
- Set the VxRail node to primary, and configure the VxRail Manager IP address and gateway on the External Management network using the following command:
vxrail-primary --setup --vxrail-address 172.18.11.72 --vxrail-netmask 255.255.255.0 --vxrail-gateway 172.18.11.254 --no-roll-back --verbose
- A series of status messages displays. When the command is complete, a final message stating The node has been set up as primary displays.
- Restart the VxRail Manager VM with the following commands:
vxrail-primary –-stop vxrail-primary –-start
- Change the VM network VLAN so the VxRail manager can communicate on the External Management network. In this example, the VLAN is set to 1811 using the following command:
esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup set -v 1811 -p “VM Network”
- Confirm the setting by running the following command:
esxcli network vswitch standard portgroup list
- Type exit to log out of the shell.
- In a browser on the remote deployment workstation, connect to the IP address configured on the VxRail Manager, 172.18.11.72 in this example. The Dell EMC VxRail Deployment Wizarddisplays.