Appendix A: Best practice guidance
For VMware ESXi 6.7:
- On the QLogic card, increase the LUN queue depth according to your workload requirements. During our benchmarking, we used the queue value of 256.
- For the ESXi host, change the power management policy to high performance.
- Configure multipathing properly to have better performance and high availability for the paths between server and storage. We used VMware NMP technology for storage multipathing.
- Select the native round-robin path policy.
- Change the NMP round-robin path switching frequency for the XtremIO X2 array from the default of 1,000 to 1.
- Use PVSCSI controllers when creating virtual disks on the datastore and assigning it to the VM.
- Create distributed vSwitches to help with load balancing and high availability.
- Assign vCPUs and memory within single physical NUMA nodes for the VM to achieve better utilization and performance of the VM.
- Use VM vCPU and vMemory reservations for better performance predictability and reliability.
- For high-performance workloads, avoid overprovisioning of memory and vCPUs. Keep ESXi overhead in mind while planning for VM deployment.