We used a single PowerMax 2000 storage array as the FC SAN storage to host both Oracle and SQL Server databases. The PowerMax 2000 array in this reference architecture consisted of:
- One PowerMax 2000 brick or engine, consisting of two directors
- Sixteen 16 Gb/s front-end FC ports directly attached to separate MX9116n IOMs to provide two SAN fabrics for high availability and load balance
- Two front-end port groups, one for the Oracle database traffic and one for the SQL Server database traffic, with eight separate FC ports in each
- Twenty-four 3.8 TB NVMe flash drives in a RAID 5 (7+1) configuration to provide a usable storage capacity of 73.35 TB
- Separate storage groups for Oracle and SQL Server databases for load balance through different port groups, ease of management, and monitoring
For details about the storage groups and volume configuration, see PowerMax storage configuration in Appendix B.