Performance highlights of the PowerEdge MX7000 modular chassis with MX840c servers include:
- One MX840c server was dedicated to Oracle databases. Of the 160 logical processors that were available, the three Oracle databases used 24 cores or 15 percent of the computational resources. Thus, 85 percent or 136 cores were available for additional database consolidation.
- The MX840c server that was dedicated to SQL Server had 160 logical processors. Of the available processors, the five SQL Server databases used 32 cores or 20 percent of the available computational resources. This leaves 128 cores or 80 percent of the computational resources available for additional SQL Server database consolidation.
- On the MX840c server that was dedicated to Oracle, the three databases used 188 GB in memory reservations. Of the 1.5 TB of available memory, the databases used 12.5 percent, leaving 87.5 percent or 1,312 GB of memory for additional database consolidation.
- On the MX840c server that was dedicated to SQL Server, the five databases used a combined total of 88 GB of memory or 6 percent. This leaves 1,412 GB or 94 percent of memory available for additional database consolidation.
- The MX840c servers consistently delivered fast compute performance. CPU utilization across all three tests for SQL Server and Oracle VMs remained consistent, with no significant impacts on performance.
- We achieved the performance results that are documented in this guide by using the converged LAN and SAN MX network design. This design realizes greater savings in terms of TCO because it does not require dedicated LAN and SAN MX IOMs or top-of-rack LAN and SAN switches.