Sometimes, an in-place upgrade may be preferable to a migration, or it may be that a migration cannot be done, such as when:
- There is no additional hardware capacity available.
- There are multiple clusters where the upgrade can be tested in lower-priority environments.
- The workloads may be more tolerant of downtime, such as for a single tenant cluster.
- There are not multiple types of jobs running in the cluster.
Upgrade tools include:
- Cloudera Manager 7.2.4
- The upgrade from previous versions of Cloudera Manager
- The upgrade from the prior runtime to the current runtime with all the components
- Apache Ambari
- Manages upgrades for HDP users
In order to avoid potential compatibility issues, an upgrade is typically accomplished with a professional services engagement. In the current release, CDP Private Cloud Base 7.1.5, upgrades are supported from:
- CDP Private Cloud Base 7.0
- CDH 5.13 to 5.16
- HDP 2.6.5
An overview of the migration process is shown in Upgrading to CDP Private Cloud Base.