The following diagram depicts the two-layer network architecture that is based upon PowerFlex best practices.
Figure 4. Network architecture
The architecture is described as follows:
- Two Dell S5048F switches are configured with VLT to provide fault tolerance and enable connectivity with other switches. Storage nodes, Compute nodes, Management, and other Teamed Networks use Link Aggregation Groups (LAG).
- Two dual port 25 Gb Mellanox NICs on each server provide 4 x 25 Gb ports.
- VLAN 51 and 52 are dedicated to SDS-SDS communication. Both VLANs are isolated at switch level to provide high availability and avoid a single point of failure.
- VLAN 53 and 54 are dedicated to SDS-SDC communication. Both VLANs are isolated at switch level to provide high availability and avoid a single point of failure.
- On storage nodes, 2 x 10 Gb ports are NIC teamed on VLAN 55 is dedicated to PowerFlex management.
- On compute nodes, 2 x 25 Gb ports are NIC teamed to provide high availability. A NIC teaming network is used to create Virtual Networks in vSphere. VLAN 56 is configured to provide connectivity with the customer network, VLAN 57 is dedicated vMotion, and VLAN 50 is dedicated to Hypervisor management.