In addition to having the previously described key values at its core, Dell EMC Data Protection for Converged Infrastructure delivers the following benefits:
- Dedicated configuration—Integrated data protection with internal top-of-rack networking within VxBlock Systems reduces network costs (upwards of 50 percent, according to The Value of Dell EMC Storage, Data Protection, and Converged Infrastructure by Taneja Group), traffic on the network, and latency. This “switchless” interconnect also provides scalability. The configuration provides the opportunity over time to move data protection services from older third-party resources to one common CI environment, which helps to repurpose the network resources that were used to run backups through the customer’s network. Integrated data protection with top-of-rack networking also reduces network resources and administrative overhead, allowing the network administrator to spend more time on strategic projects and less time on sustaining the infrastructure.
- Storage-space and cost savings—The Dell EMC PowerProtect DD deduplication system provides back-end data storage. As part of the Data Protection for Converged Infrastructure solution portfolio, the PowerProtect DD system is fully integrated into the VxBlock System environment and houses deduplicated data from the application environment that has been backed up. PowerProtect DD deduplication rates are the best in the industry—up to 55:1 (based on Dell Technologies’ internal analysis of customer data as of May 2018), saving space and lowering the overall cost per gigabyte protected.
Note: Deduplication rates depend on multiple factors including the type of data.
According to the Enterprise Strategy Group (see Next-Generation Platform, Next-Generation Results), the latest PowerProtect DD models offer up to 38 percent faster backups, up to 30 percent more logical storage capacity, and up to 50 percent reduction in floor space requirements from the previous models.
- Simplified management— A single data-management interface supports all data protection software. Detailed and customizable reporting helps you to manage the backup infrastructure.
- Predictive analytics and enhanced search of backup datasets—Predictive analytics and enhanced search help spot potential risks and help find the source of any dataset that has been backed up.
- Lower overall cost with appropriately sized and deployed software—The software components are appropriately sized and deployed, using the shared elements of the VxBlock System management appliance (AMP Central). The system can scale out the data protection software environment as needed, lowering overall cost.