Use the following steps to create a backup policy:
- Log in to PowerProtect Data Manager using administrator credentials.
- On the left pane of the PowerProtect Data Manager UI, click Protection.
- Select Protection Policies and click ADD.
- Assign a Name to the policy (for example: Test), and add a valid Description.
- For Type, select Virtual Machine and click NEXT.
- Select the purpose of the policy.
- Select Crash Consistent and click NEXT.
- Select the VM or VMs which need to be protected and click NEXT.
- Click BACKUP and schedule the backup per your requirements:
- You can set up hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly backups
- Check Create Full if you want to take a full backup of the VM, and select the duration per your requirements.
- Click OK to create the backup policy.
Note: There are options to Replicate, Edit, and Delete the selected backup policy. Also, cloud tiering is available, but schedules must have weekly or monthly recurrence and have a retention time of 14 days or greater. Data Domain cloud storage units must be preconfigured on the Data Domain system.
Also, there is an option to set a backup service level agreement (SLA) for the backup policy. You can create this by clicking SLA and using the drop-down menu to choose from the following options:
- Recovery Point Objective (RPO)
- Compliance window
- Verification if the copies are deleted
- Retention Time Objective
To set the backup SLA, click NEXT, review the summary, and click FINISH.