The HA proxy is an appliance that is deployed as an OVA. The HA proxy is used to route network traffic between Kubernetes pods and acts as load balancer as well. To enable workload management, networking must be configured. There are two options—NSX-T Data Center or vSphere Distributed Switch (vDS) networking with external load balancing. Currently, the HA proxy is supported and must be configured before workload management is enabled. Workload management cannot be set up without the HA proxy instance.
For requirements to enable networking, see https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vmware-vsphere-with-tanzu/GUID-B1388E77-2EEC-41E2- 8681-5AE549D50C77.html#GUID-B1388E77-2EEC-41E2-8681-5AE549D50C77.
To deploy the HA proxy and configure IP addresses, ensure that the OVA is available at the local or content library. To find the location from which to download the OVA, see the following VMware knowledge base article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80735?lang=en_US&queryTerm=80735.
- Log in to vCenter server with administrator credentials.
- Click Content Libraries and select the created library (which should have HA proxy OVA).
- Right-click the OVA, select New VM from This Template, and provide the following details:
- Select a name and folder: Specify the VM name and select the location for the VM.
- Select a compute resource: Select the destination compute resource for this operation.
- Review details and click NEXT.
- Check I accept all license agreements and click NEXT.
- Configuration: Select Default or Frontend Network as per the network design.
Note: To deploy the appliance with 2 NICs, that is, a management and single workload network, select Default; to deploy the appliance with 3 NICs, that is, a management network, a single workload network, and a dedicated front-end network, select Frontend Network.
- Select the storage for the configuration and disk files.
- Select a destination network for each source network.
- Customize template: Provide root password, network configuration, and load balancing IP ranges.
- Verify the configuration and click FINISH.