Asset backups can be taken manually or scheduled. A protection policy must be created first:
- Log in to PowerProtect Data Manager UI with administrator credentials.
- On the left pane of the PowerProtect Data Manager UI, click the Protection drop-down.
- Click Protection Policies.
- Click Add to add a policy.
- Type: Specify the necessary details:
- Type: Select Kubernetes
- Click Next
- Purpose: Select one of the following options, according to the purpose of the backup:
- Crash Consistent: Select this option to snapshot persistent volumes bound to the persistent volume claims in the namespace and back them up to the storage target
b. Exclusion: Select this option to exclude in this group from protection activities and protection rule assistant.
c. Click Next.
- Select the asset(s) to be backed up from the list, or search for a particular asset by typing in the Find More Assets fie
- Click Next.
- Schedule: In this section, a backup schedule is created, replicated, edited, and deleted.
- Click +Backup.
- Fill the required details under the Add Primary Backup section.
- Select Recurrence as Hourly, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly, and specify the details accordingly.
- Create Every:
- Keep For:
- Start time:
- End Time:
- Click Ok.
- An SLA can be added as follows:
i Click the drop-down under SLA.
ii Click Add and provide the name and specify the objective(s):
- SLA name:
- Check box to specify Recovery Point Option (minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years).
- Check box if any Compliance Window is to be mentioned.
- Check box to Verify expired copies are deleted.
- Check box to specify Retention Time Objective (days, weeks, months or years).
- Check box to Verify Retention Lock is enabled for all copies.
iii Click Save.
- Click Next.
- Verify the provided information is correct under the Summary section. If yes, click Finish.
- Click Go to Jobs to check the status of the policy.
The protection policy triggers the backup at the scheduled time. After a protection policy is created, you can modify the policy with these options:
- Edit: To edit the information or to change the schedule.
- Disable: Backup Schedule is disabled with this option so backup would not be taken.
- Export: Downloadable file that contains the information about the asset protection.
- Protect Now: This option allows you to take backups manually on an ad-hoc basis.
- Asset Selection: Provides options to select the assets:
- All assets defined in the protection policy.
- Choose some of the assets defined in the policy: This option allows you to select namespaces within the cluster.
a. This allows you to select the type of backup:
- Full: Backs up the namespace metadata and persistent volumes and creates a new full backup.
- Synthetic full: Backs up namespace metadata, change blocks for persistent volumes on VMware first class disks, all other persistent volumes and creates a new full backup.
- Keep For: In days
- Click Next.
- Summary: Verify the information.
- Click Backup.
Monitor the backup job by clicking Go to Jobs.
The backup job is completed successfully, and the details such as task ID, vProxy, throughput, storage, and so on are available in the backup job details.