The initial build operation of a VxRail cluster transforms the physical nodes into a single, managed vSphere cluster with a single datastore and one or two virtual distributed switches.
- For the management domain, the underlying VxRail cluster is built first before performing the tasks to deploy the VCF management domain.
- For any subsequent workload domains deployed on this Cloud Foundation on VxRail instance, the VxRail cluster build operation occurs as part of the overall workload domain deployment process using either SDDC Manager or a scripted process.
Perform the following tasks to support the VxRail cluster build process before attempting a workload domain deployment:
- The adjacent top-of-rack switches are configured per Cloud Foundation on VxRail requirements.
- The VxRail nodes are installed in the racks and cabled to power and network sources.
- If FC LUNs instead of vSAN will serve as the primary storage resource for a VxRail cluster, perform the pre-requisites to configure the LUNs on the storage array and configure the storage area network to present the LUNs to the VxRail nodes.
- The VxRail nodes are powered on. This enables VxRail to perform self-discovery of the powered-on nodes for cluster formation, and enables VxRail Manager to serve as the director of the automated cluster build process.
- If FC LUNs instead of vSAN will serve as the primary storage resource for a VxRail cluster, verify that the LUN is discovered on each VxRail node, and perform the steps to configure a shared datastore on all of the VxRail nodes.