Planning Guide—Dell VxRail vCenter Server
vCenter mode conversion
- A VxRail-supplied vCenter can be converted so that VxRail Manager identifies it as an external, or customer-supplied vCenter.
- If the VxRail cluster is converted to an external VMware vCenter server, it cannot be converted back to an internal VxRail-supplied vCenter.
- After the conversion process, customers are responsible for providing a permanent vCenter license.
- Since this vCenter is no longer a VxRail-supplied vCenter, the converted vCenter must be migrated off the cluster to maintain connectivity and perform a cluster shutdown operation.
- VxRail LCM does not support upgrades of customer-supplied vCenter instances after the conversion. Customers are responsible for all upgrades and maintenance to the vCenter instance.
- The converted vCenter must be manually upgraded to the appropriate version before LCM can be performed on the hosting VxRail cluster.