If your requirements include workload management using Kubernetes, a VxRail cluster can be configured as a supervisor cluster for Kubernetes. Kubernetes is a portable, extensible, API-driven platform for the management of containerized workload and services. VMware’s Tanzu feature enables the conversion of a VxRail cluster, whose foundation is vSphere, into a platform for running Kubernetes workloads inside dedicated resource pools. A VxRail cluster that is enabled for vSphere with Tanzu is called a Supervisor cluster.
When a VxRail cluster is enabled for vSphere with Kubernetes, the following six services are configured to support vSphere with Tanzu:
- vSphere Pod Service
- Registry Service
- Storage Service
- Network Service
- Virtual Machine Service
- Tanzu Kubernetes Grid Service for vSphere
Figure 20. vSphere with Tanzu on a VxRail cluster
As a VxRail administrator using vSphere management capabilities, you can create namespaces on the Supervisor Cluster, and configure them with specified amount of memory, CPU, and storage. Within the namespaces, you can run containerized workloads on the same platform with shared resource pools.
- This feature requires each VxRail node that is part of the Supervisor cluster to be configured with a vSphere Enterprise Plus license with an add-on license for Kubernetes.
- This feature requires portgroups to be configured on the VxRail cluster virtual distributed switch to support workload networks. These networks provide connectivity to the cluster nodes and the three Kubernetes control plane VMs. Each Supervisor Cluster must have one primary workload network.
- A virtual load balancer that is supported for vSphere must be also configured on the VxRail cluster to enable connectivity from client network to workloads running in the namespaces.
- The workload networks require reserved IP addresses to enable connectivity for the control plane VMs and the load balancer.
For complete details on enabling a VxRail cluster to support vSphere with Tanzu, see vSphere with Tanzu Configuration and Management Guide.