VxRail is an entire software-defined data center in an appliance form factor. All administrative activities, including initial implementation and initialization, configuration, capacity expansion, online upgrades, as well as maintenance and support are handled within the VxRail management system. When the VxRail appliance is installed in your data center, which is connected to your network, and the physical components that are powered on, the VxRail management system automates the full implementation of the final software-defined data center based on your settings and input.
Before getting to this phase, several planning and preparation steps must be undertaken to ensure a seamless integration of the final product into your data center environment. These planning and preparation steps include:
- Plan Data Center Routing Services.
- Decide on VxRail Single Point of Management.
- Plan the VxRail logical network.
- Identify IP address range for VxRail logical networks.
- Identify unique hostnames for VxRail management components.
- Identify external applications and settings for VxRail.
- Create DNS records for VxRail management components.
- Prepare customer-supplied vCenter Server.
- Reserve IP addresses for VxRail vMotion and vSAN networks.
- Decide on VxRail Logging Solution.
- Decide on passwords for VxRail management.
Use the VxRail Setup Checklist and the VxRail Network Configuration Table to help create your network plan. References to rows in this document are to rows in the VxRail Network Configuration Table.
Note: Once you set up the VxRail cluster and complete the initial initialization phase to produce the final product, the configuration cannot easily be changed. We strongly recommend that you take care during this planning and preparation phase to decide on the configurations that will work most effectively for your organization.