Starting with VxRail version 7.0.100, the storage resources on the vSAN datastores on each VxRail cluster can be shared with other VxRail clusters. This storage sharing model is applicable only in a multi-cluster environment where the VxRail clusters are configured under a common data center on a customer-supplied vCenter instance.
Figure 21. Storage resource sharing with vSAN HCI mesh
If your plans include storage resource sharing using vSAN HCI mesh, be sure to prepare your data center to meet the following prerequisites:
- A vCenter instance at a version that supports VxRail version 7.0.100 or later.
- A vSAN Enterprise license for each VxRail cluster that will participate in a vSAN HCI mesh topology.
- A network topology that can connect the vSAN networks of the two VxRail clusters.
- A common VLAN can be assigned to the vSAN network for each cluster to connect over a Layer 2 network. If the VxRail clusters are deployed against different top-of-rack switches, then the VLAN needs to be configured to stretch between the switch instances.
- If the VxRail clusters are deployed against different top-of-rack switches, and the common VLAN cannot be stretched between the switch instances, then connectivity can be enabled using Layer 3 routing services. If this option is selected, be sure to assign routable IP addresses to the vSAN network on each participating VxRail cluster.