Upon completion of the switch configuration, there should be unobstructed network paths between the switch ports and the ports on the VxRail nodes. The VxRail management network and VM network should have unobstructed passage to your data center network. Before forming the VxRail cluster, the VxRail initialization process will perform several verification steps, including:
- Verifying switch and data center environment supportability
- Verifying passage of VxRail logical networks
- Verifying accessibility of required data center applications
- Verifying compatibility with the planned VxRail implementation
Certain data center environment and network configuration errors will cause the validation to fail, and the VxRail cluster will not be formed. When validation fails, the data center settings and switch configurations must undergo troubleshooting to resolve the problems reported.
Confirm the settings on the switch, using the switch vendor instructions for guidance:
- External management traffic will be untagged on the native VLAN by default. If a tagged VLAN is used instead, the switches must be customized with the new VLAN.
- Internal device discovery network traffic will use the default VLAN of 3939. If this has changed, all ESXi hosts must be customized with the new VLAN, or device discovery will not work.
- Confirm that the switch ports that will attach to VxRail nodes allow passage of all VxRail network VLANs.
- Confirm that the switch uplinks allow passage of external VxRail networks.
- If you have two or more switches, confirm an inter-switch link is configured between them to support passage of the VxRail network VLANs.