We recommend that you create a tiered monitoring ecosystem when using SCOM with Cloud for Microsoft Azure Stack Hub for monitoring SU hardware. Using this approach, you can configure OpenManage Enterprise and OpenManage Network Manager from each SU to forward SNMP traps and SYSLOG messages to the central SCOM instance. This approach is the preferred option for several reasons:
- No security configuration changes are necessary. DellEMC-OMEntVM and DellEMC-MGMTVM reside on the Azure Stack Hub BMC Network and have externally accessible IP addresses. The Access Control Lists (ACL) that are applied on the BMC switch do not limit communications inbound or outbound.
- OpenManage Enterprise and OpenManage Network Manager are the collection points for SNMP traps and SYSLOG messages in an SU. It is recommended that you use what comes bundled with the solution.
- All HLH VMs are integral in patching and updating a Cloud for Microsoft Azure Stack Hub solution.
- DellEMC-MGMTVM is often required as a jump server into the environment for routine maintenance and upgrades.
In this chapter, the following procedures are described in detail and should be completed in this order:
- Configuring OpenManage Enterprise
- Configuring OpenManage Network Manager
- Configuring SCOM
- Validating alert forwarding from OpenManage Enterprise and OpenManage Network Manager to SCOM