This topic explains how to view recommendations, using OpenManage Integration extension, that enable you to prepare nodes for expanding Azure Stack HCI cluster storage.
- Cluster must be Dell Integrated System for Microsoft Azure Stack HCI, versions 21H2.
- Cluster nodes must have valid OMIWAC premium license installed.
- Cluster node models are supported in the support matrix.
- In Windows Admin Center, under Extensions, click .
- If the cluster meets the Prerequisites , OpenManage Integration extension validates the storage configuration of cluster nodes against HCP policies (Dell Hardware Symmetry Policy rules) and displays the cluster level status and drives details for each cluster node. See View node level storage configuration details. The Expand Storage button is enabled. Click Refresh Storage Inventory to see the latest storage configuration details of cluster nodes.
- If the Expand Storage button is disabled:
- The cluster may not fulfill all the prerequisites. See the banner message and ensure that all the prerequisites mentioned are met and then refresh the cluster inventory and start from step 1.
- The cluster may be non-compliant if its storage configuration does not comply with all the critical Dell Hardware Symmetry Policy rules. Make the cluster compliant first by going to the HCP Compliance tab and following the recommendations and then try again. To learn more about storage and disks specific rules, see OpenManage Integration with Microsoft Windows Admin Center.
- If the cluster meets the Prerequisites , OpenManage Integration extension validates the storage configuration of cluster nodes against HCP policies (Dell Hardware Symmetry Policy rules) and displays the cluster level status and drives details for each cluster node. See View node level storage configuration details.
- Click the Expand Storage if enabled. Storage Expansion Summary appears on the right.
- In the Storage Expansion Summary wizard, view the summary about the cluster storage configuration:
- Cluster name
- Node counts
- Available slot count where storage expansion is possible in that cluster. The available slots shows a warning if any of the cluster node has SAS/SATA drives. This is because the exact number of empty slots for drives with media types such as HDD, SDD may not be derived. Note: Available empty slots are calculated using the total available slots and total connected drives, and may not match the number of empty slots for the HDD SSD. Because these drives are embedded in the server chassis.
- Used storage
- Available storage
- If the cluster is non-compliant with a warning, follow the recommendations to make the cluster storage symmetric. The Recommendation section includes the following details:
After the cluster is compliant (cluster storage is symmetric), go to step 1 and follow the instructions to see storage expansion recommendations.
- The Dell HCP policy rule that does not comply with your cluster.
- The drive details that need to be added or replaced to make your cluster compliant.
- If the cluster is compliant, choose one of the storage expansion options, specify the storage size, and then click Refresh Recommendation to see the storage expanding recommendations.
OpenManage Integration displays overall capacity based on resiliency type. See the Microsoft document for more information about fault tolerance and storage efficiency on HCI clusters.The Recommendation section includes the below details:
- Increase overall capacity: Overall capacity indicates the sum of all the disk storage capacity in a cluster. Specify the storage size as available to increase the overall capacity of the cluster.
- Increase usable capacity: Usable capacity indicates the actual storage size that is used by the cluster after reserving some storage for fault tolerance (resiliency). Specify the overall usable capacity as available for the entire cluster.
- STORAGE: Displays node name. Also, displays number of drives that are required with recommended media type, and recommended storage capacity of each drive.
- Supported models Note: AGN MU in the model description indicates that the model is vendor agnostic and mixed use.
- Actual capacity
- Bus protocol
- Cache to capacity ratio (only available for hybrid nodes)
- Recommendations are derived based on possible empty slots present in the nodes. For non-uniform media types across the cluster, even after following the recommendation you may see some warnings.
- To order drives, Dell Technologies recommends to use the bus protocol, model, size mentioned in the storage column, and endurance information to identify compatible drives for storage expansion.
Insert the recommended drives and then check the updated storage configuration by running HCP compliance. Contact the Dell support for any issues.