Configure high availability for all of the following:
- Network interface card (NIC)
- NIC port
- Network switch
- FC port
- FC card
- FC switch
Best practices for configuring the LAN include:
- Use two 10 GbE S4048-ON network switches for end-to-end client traffic to prevent a single point of failure.
- Use VLAN tagging to sustain switch failure, and use NIC teaming to provide multitier network high availability.
- Use NIC teaming to provide high availability at the NIC port level.
- Use NIC teaming for virtual and physical network connections.
- Use a minimum of two network cards to provide high availability and prevent a single point of failure. Use two Emulex LightPulse LPE31002 cards to enable connectivity between the SQL Server host and external network.
Best practices for designing the SAN include:
- Use redundant Brocade 6505 switches to prevent a single point of failure.
- Use two Emulex LightPulse LPE31002 cards for high availability.
- Make crisscross cable connections between redundant FC HBA cards and redundant FC switches to enable high availability.
- Use name zoning of end devices (FC HBAs) and Storage Center virtual ports while creating zones. Name zoning provides better flexibility because it does not tie the devices and virtual ports to specific physical ports on either the switch or the storage array.