This design for Oracle databases with PowerStore storage encompasses the following phases:
- Phase I, Hardware stack setup and configuration—Setting up all the component hardware, including PowerEdge servers; Ethernet network switches and cable connections; the PowerStore storage array, Fibre Channel (FC) network switches, and cable connections.
- Phase II, Installation and configuration—Establishing the environment for running Oracle databases on top of the hardware stack that is set up in Phase I. Phase ll tasks include setting up VMware ESXi on management and database servers, installing VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), creating and configuring PowerStore storage volumes, creating virtual machines (VMs), and configuring storage and networks for the VMs. Tasks to accomplish in this phase also include creating snapshots manually on the PowerStore storage array.
- Phase III, Oracle Grid and database configuration—Establishing the Oracle 19c RAC production database environment that was set up in Phase II. Tasks to accomplish in this phase include:
- Preparing to install Oracle Grid Infrastructure and Oracle database software
- Installing Oracle Grid Infrastructure and Oracle database software in each environment
- Creating and configuring the Oracle databases in each environment
- For snapshot databases, taking PowerStore snapshots of the Oracle production database volumes and integrating the database configuration with the snapshot database server to bring up the snapshot database