To take XVC snapshots of the PROD database, follow the procedures in this section to:
- Create a consistency group of PROD database volumes.
- Take a snapshot of the consistency group.
- Map the consistency group to the XVC server.
Creating a consistency group
To maintain consistency among the database files when taking the XVC snapshot of the production database, put all database volumes into one consistency group as follows:
- Log in to the XtremIO management console.
- From the management console, click the Configuration tab, click Consistency Groups, and then click the New(+) icon.
- In the New Consistency Group window:
- Enter a consistency group name.
- Select all the source (PROD) database volumes where the database files are stored, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 21. Specifying source database volumes
- Click Apply.
Within a few seconds, the consistency group (CG_PROD in this instance) is created:
Figure 22. New consistency group
Follow these steps to create a snapshot of the consistency group that you created in the previous section:
- To create an XVC snapshot of the PROD database volumes, create a repurpose copy of the consistency group that contains the PROD database volumes:
- Select the PROD database consistency group (CG_PROD in this instance) and click the Repurpose icon.
- In the Create Repurpose Copy window, specify the new Consistency Group Name (for example, CG_DEV for the DEV_XVC database), and click Apply.
The repurpose copy (CG_DEV) of CG_PROD is created instantly. CG_DEV itself is a consistency group that consists of seven snapshot volumes of the corresponding seven PROD database volumes, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 23. Snapshot (repurpose copy) of consistency group
To map the consistency group to the XVC server:
- Select the snapshot consistency group CG_DEV and click the Mapping icon on the menu bar.
- Select the Initiator Groups (R740-HBAs in this instance) that contain the XVC database server initiators and click Next.
The Mapping Confirmation window is displayed.
- Click Apply to create the mapping and verify that the following mapping is established:
Figure 24. Consistency group mapping
- Repeat the steps in Taking a snapshot of the consistency group and Mapping the consistency group to the XVC server for the second snapshot database OLAP XVC.