This chapter describes the steps that are required to configure the environment for two OLTP database instances that are running in separate VMware 6.7 VMs, which are on a single PowerEdge R940 server. The vCenter instance running on the R640 management server manages the VMs.
The deployment of the two virtual databases on a single ESXi host consists of the following tasks:
- Configure XtremIO storage:
- Create the Initiator Group.
- Create the storage volumes.
- Map the storage volumes to the ESXi host.
- Set up the LAN and SAN switches:
- Configure redundant ToR 10 GbE switches.
- Configure redundant 16 Gbps SAN FC switches, including zoning.
- Set up the ESXi host, network, VMs, and storage:
- Prepare the PowerEdge server.
- Install and configure ESXi on the database server.
- Create a vSphere data center, including adding the ESXi database host.
- Configure a vSphere Distributed Switch.
- Configure datastores.
- Create VMs for the databases.
- Set up networking for ESXi hosts and VMs.
- Prepare storage disks for the databases.
- Configure the guest operating system and databases.