The Dell EMC Ready Stack uses vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS) in the compute cluster. VDS enables multiple hosts to use a single virtual switch configuration.
Create the VDS
To create the VDS:
- Open a web browser and navigate to the vSphere Web Client at https://<vCenter Server Appliance FQDN or IP>/vsphere-client.
- Log in with an account that has administrator privileges.
- On the Home page, click Networking.
- Right-click the datacenter object, and then select Distributed Switch > New Distributed Switch.
- Enter a name for the VDS, as shown in the following figure, and then click Next.
Figure 25. Naming the VDS
- On the Select version page of the wizard, ensure that Distributed switch: 6.5.0 is selected, and then click Next.
- On the Edit settings page, as shown in the following figure:
- Set Number of uplinks to 2.
- Set Network I/O Control to Enabled.
Do not create a default port group.
Figure 26. Editing VDS settings
- Click Next and then Finish to create the VDS.
- Right-click the VDS and select Settings > Edit Settings.
- Select Advanced, set MTU (Bytes) to 9000, and then click OK.
Create port groups
After you create the VDS, create port groups on the VDS as follows. At a minimum, port groups for management and vMotion traffic are required.
- Right-click the VDS and select Distributed Port Group > New Distributed Port Group.
- Enter a name for the port group, as shown in the following figure, and then click Next.
Figure 27. Naming the port group
- On the Configure Settings page, as shown in the following figure:
- For tagged VLANs, in the VLAN type field, select VLAN and enter the VLAN ID.
- Select Customize default policies configuration.
Figure 28. Configuring VLAN settings
- Click Next.
- Review the security policies and traffic shaping options; click Next on each to proceed.
- On the Teaming and failover page:
- Set Load balancing to Route based on originating virtual port.
- Ensure that Uplink 1 and Uplink 2 are both active, as shown in the following figure.
Figure 29. Teaming and failover
- Click Next to proceed through the remaining menus.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the settings and click Finish.
- Repeat the preceding steps for each additional distributed port group.