This procedure describes how to create LUNs and present them to the compute cluster. The LUNs are used as datastores for compute cluster VMs. You can also use this procedure to create additional LUNs for the compute cluster.
To create a LUN:
- Log in to Unisphere storage management.
- Create storage pools as needed.
The number and size of the pools depend on the requirements of each environment and the number of available drive types in the storage array.
- In the left pane, click Block.
- In the upper left of the LUNs pane, click the plus sign (+).
The Create LUNs wizard opens.
- On the Configure LUN(s) page:
- In the Number of LUNs field, select 1, or select another number if you want to create multiple LUNs with the same properties.
- In the Name field, enter the name for the LUN.
- In the Pool field, select the pool from which the LUN is being created.
- In the Size field, enter the size of the LUN.
- To create a thin LUN, select Thin.
If Thin is not selected, a thick LUN is created.
- Click Next.
- On the Configure Access page, click the plus sign (+) in the upper-left corner.
- In the Select Host Access window, select the compute hosts that require access to the LUN, and then click OK.
- On the Access page, review the host selection and click Next.
- On the Snapshot page, select Enable Automatic Snapshot Creation if you want snapshots to be created automatically, and then click Obtain the HBA’s WWNs.
- On the Replication page, if configuration is for the LUN, select Enable Replication and select replication settings.
- On the Summary page, review the selections and click Finish.
- On the Results page, click Close.
- If you require additional LUNs with unique properties for the VI workload domain, repeat steps 4 through 12 to create the LUNs and assign them to hosts.
You can also add LUNs from the Hosts Properties window.
Storage sizing for the VI workload domain is deployment-specific, based on the number of VMs being deployed and their storage I/O requirements.
For additional sizing information, see the VMware Cloud Foundation Capacity Planner.