After you install ESXi and restart the server, configure and test the ESXi management network.
Configure the management network:
- Open the iDRAC Virtual Console, and press F2 to log in to the Direct Console User Interface (DCUI).
- Enter the credentials that you created during the ESXi setup, and then press Enter.
- From the System Customization menu, select Configure Management Network.
- On the Configure Management Network page, select Network Adapters to ensure that the NIC is registered as connected.
- On the Network Adapters page, ensure that the Status column displays Connected for vmnic0 and any other NIC ports that are already connected.
If the NIC is not connected, check the cabling and status of the switch port and correct any issues. Then, press Esc to return to the previous page.
- Press Esc to exit the Network Adapters menu.
- Select VLAN (optional) and press Enter.
- Enter the VLAN ID for the management network (110 in Table 3, VLAN information example), and then press Enter.
- Select IPv4 Configuration and press Enter.
- Using the cursor keys, select Set static IPv4 address, and then press the space bar.
- On the IPv4 Configuration page, enter the IPv4 address, subnet mask, and default gateway for the management host.
See Table 14 of the site survey.
- Press Enter.
- Select DNS Configuration and press Enter.
- Enter the IP address of the DNS servers and the FQDN of the host.
See Table 10 of the site survey.
- If the environment has multiple domains or if subdomains and short names are used, select Custom DNS Suffixes and add the suffixes.
- Press Esc to return to the main menu.
- Press Y to confirm the changes and restart the management network.
Test the management network setup:
- Under System Customization, select Test Management Network.
Test Management Network shows a summary of what will be tested. The following figure is from a test deployment:
Figure 9. Test Management Network
- Press Enter to continue.
When the test is complete, results that are similar to those in the following figure are displayed:
Figure 10. Test network results
Configuration settings specific to VMware Cloud Foundation
VMware Cloud Foundation requires the following ESXi configuration:
- Enable TSM-SSH service and set the policy to Start and Stop with Host.
- Enable and configure NTP service and set the policy to Start and Stop with Host.
Numerous methods exist for setting TSM-SSH service policy and NTP settings. For information, see the following VMware Knowledge Base articles: