Prerequisites for installing SQL Server 2017
Before you install SQL Server 2017, ensure that you have completed these steps:
- Created a VM
- Installed the operating system
- Renamed and added a guest Windows server to Microsoft Active Directory
Configuring database VMs
The following table lists the specifications for the database VMs.
Table 6. Database VM specifications
Memory for database
Size of data LUN
Size of transaction log LUN
Size of tempdb LUN
Create a virtual machine
Create a VM on the ESXi host:
- In the vSphere Web Client, right-client the previously created resource pool and select New Virtual Machine.
- On the Select a creation type page, select Create a new virtual machine and click Next.
- On the Select a name and folder page, enter a unique name for the VM and select a deployment location.
- On the Select a compute resource page, select the resource pool where the VM will run and click Next.
- On the Select storage page, choose the store type, the storage policy, and a datastore or datastore cluster where you want to store the VM files.
- On the Select compatibility page, select the VM compatibility setting that is compatible with the ESXi host and click Next.
- On the Select a guest OS page, select the guest operating system family and version, and click Next.
- (Optional) Enable Windows Virtualization Based Security.
- On the Customize hardware page, configure the VM hardware and options, and click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the details and click Finish.
Install a guest operating system on a virtual machine
Install a guest operating system on a VM:
- In the vSphere Web Client, verify that an ISO image file of the guest operating system is on a datastore on the ESXi host.
- Verify that the CD/DVD drive in the VM points to the ISO image file of the guest operating system and that the CD/DVD drive is configured to connect at power on.
- Right-click the VM, select Power, and select Power On to start the VM.
- Right-click the VM, select Console, and follow the operating system vendor’s installation instructions.
Install SQL Server 2017
Before you install SQL Server 2017, ensure that the SQL Server installation media is ready to start the installation.
- Run setup.exe as an administrator to start the setup wizard.
- In the SQL Server Installation Center window, in the left panel, select Installation and then click New SQL Server stand-alone or add features to an existing installation.
- On the Product key page, enter the product key and click Next.
- On the License Terms page, select I Accept the license terms, and then click Next.
- On the Microsoft Update page, select Use Microsoft Update to check for updates (recommended), and then click Next.
- On the Feature Selection page, select Database Engine Services, and then click Next.
- On the Instance Configuration page, in both Named instance and Instance ID, enter the SQL Server instance network name, and then click Next.
- On the Server Configuration page:
- On the Service Accounts tab, specify the account name and password.
- On the Collation tab, click Customize, and select:
i SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS for the SQL collation
ii Grant Perform Volume Maintenance Task privilege to SQL Server Database Engine Service
- Click Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration page:
- On the Server Configuration tab, select Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication) and specify the password for the SQL Server system administrator (sa) account.
- On the Data Directories and TempDB tab, define the paths for disks or paths of the root for the system databases directory, user databases, log files, backup files, and tempdb, and then click Next.
- On the Ready to Install page, review the details and click Install.
- On the Complete page, verify that all the items have been installed successfully, and then click Close.