After racking and cabling the SAN switches, configure the switches by performing the following tasks, as described in this section:
- Assign the management IP address to the switches.
- Enable Dynamic Ports on Demand.
Assigning the management IP address to the SAN switches
Assign the management IP address to the SAN switches:
- Connect one end of the serial cable to the RJ-45 serial port on the switch, and the other end to the serial port on the server (workstation).
- Use HyperTerminal to open the switch console.
- In the console, configure the serial connection as follows:
- Bits per second—9600
- Data bits—8
- Stop bits—1
- Flow control—None
- Log in to the switch by using the default username and password.
- Assign the management IP address for the switch:
switch: admin> ipaddrset
Ethernet IP Address <IP address>
Ethernet Subnetmask <subnet mask>
Gateway IP Address <gateway>
DHCP [Off]: off
Enabling Dynamic Ports on Demand
The Dynamic Ports on Demand (POD) feature automatically assigns POD licenses from a pool of available licenses that is based on the server blade or switch installation. Enable the Dynamic POD feature:
- Connect to the switch and log in as an administrator.
- Enter the following command to change the license assignment method to dynamic:
switch: admin> licenseport --method dynamic
- Enter the following command to restart the switch:
switch: admin> reboot