Configure a virtual disk for operating system deployment on the PowerEdge 740 server:
- Log in to iDRAC and launch the virtual console.
- If the system is powered off, go to the Power menu from the iDRAC virtual console and click Power on the system.
- When the following message appears, click Yes to restart the system:
You are about to execute a server control action. Are you sure you want to continue?
- When the following message appears, press Ctrl-R to run the RAID configuration utility:
Press CTRL + R to Run configuration utility
- In the configuration utility, select PERC H730 Mini, and then press F2 to enable operations.
- From the list box, select Create New VD.
- Create the virtual disk:
- At RAID Level, select RAID-1.
- Under Physical Disks, select the physical disks.
- Under Basic Settings, use the default virtual disk size and virtual disk name, and click OK.
Note: The operating system partition is not I/O intensive. RAID 1 is recommended for operating system partitions so that they have hardware redundancy.
- When the following message appears, click OK:
It is recommended that all newly created logical drives be initialized unless you are attempting to recreate a previous configuration and recover data as initialization is a destructive process. Are you sure you want to skip initialization?
The virtual disk is created.
- Exit the utility and restart the server.
- Repeat the preceding steps to configure the required number of virtual disks for your environment.