After racking and cabling the SAN switches, configure the switches by performing the following tasks:
- Assign the management IP address for the switch.
- Access the Brocade switch through Web Tools.
- Enable Dynamic Ports on Demand.
Assign the management IP address to the SAN switches:
- Connect one end of the serial cable to the RJ-45 serial port on the switch, and the other end to the serial port on the server (workstation).
- Use HyperTerminal to open the switch console.
- In the console, configure the serial connection settings as follows:
- Bits per second–9600
- Data bits–8
- Stop bits–1
- Flow control–None
- Log in to the switch by using the default username and password.
- Assign the management IP address for the switch:
switch: admin> ipaddrset
Ethernet IP Address <IP address>
Ethernet Subnetmask <subnet mask>
Gateway IP Address <gateway>
DHCP [Off]: off
Brocade Web Tools is an embedded UI that enables administrators to monitor and manage single or small fabrics, switches, and ports. Launch Web Tools directly from a web browser:
- Open the web browser, type the IP address of the switch in the address field, and press Enter.
- In the Please Login dialog box, type the username and password, and then click OK.
The Dynamic Ports on Demand (POD) feature automatically assigns POD licenses from a pool of available licenses that is based on the server blade or switch installation. Enable the Dynamic POD feature:
- Connect to the switch and log in as an administrator.
- Type the following command to change the license assignment method to dynamic:
switch: admin> licenseport --method dynamic
- Type the following command to restart the switch:
switch: admin> reboot