The LUNs that you create and present to the management cluster are used as datastores for the management virtual machines (VMs). You can also create any additional LUNs that you need for management and compute clusters.
To create a LUN, log in to Unisphere storage management and follow these steps:
- Create the required number of storage pools.
For size requirements, see Table 7, Management VM space requirements.
The number and size of the required pools depend on the specific needs of the environment and the number of available drive types in the storage array.
- In the left navigation pane, click Block.
- In the upper left of the LUNs pane, click the plus sign (+).
- In the Create LUNs wizard:
- From the Number of LUNs list, select 1.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the LUN.
- From the Pool list, select the pool from which the LUN is to be created.
- In the Size field, enter the size of the LUN.
Table 7 lists the management VM space requirements. For information about the storage requirements for the VMs, see Chapter 8, Deploying the Software Components.
- If a thin LUN is required, select the Thin option.
A thick LUN is created by default.
- Click Next.
- In the upper left of the Configure Access pane, click the plus sign (+).
- In the Select Host Access window, select the management hosts that require access to the LUN, and then click OK.
- In the Access pane, review the host selection and click Next.
- In the Snapshot pane, select Enable Automatic Snapshot Creation, if required, and then click Obtain the HBA’s WWNs.
- In the Replication pane, if replication is being configured for the LUN, select Enable Replication and then select your required replication settings.
- In the Summary pane, review the selections and, if you are satisfied, click Finish.
- In the Results pane, click Close.
- If additional LUNs are required for additional management VMs, repeat steps 4 through 12 to create a datastore of a size that can accommodate all the management VMs.
For the example in Table 8, a 2 TB LUN is sufficient.
- Repeat steps 4 through 13 to create additional LUNs as needed and assign them to appropriate hosts.