To install the master nodes:
- Connect to the iDRAC of a master node and open the virtual console.
- In the iDRAC GUI, click Configuration and select BIOS Settings.
- Expand Network Settings.
- Set PXE Device1 to Enabled.
- Expand PXE Device1 Settings.
- Set NIC in Slot 2 Port 1 Partition 1 as the interface.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Network Settings section and select Apply.
The system boots automatically into the PXE network and displays the PXE menu, as shown in the following figure:
Figure 5. iDRAC console PXE menu
- Select etcd-0 (the first node), and after installation is complete but before the node reboots into the PXE, ensure that the hard disk is placed above the PXE interface in the boot order, as follows:
- Press F2 to enter System Setup.
- Select System BIOS > Boot Settings > UEFI Boot Settings > UEFI Boot Sequence.
- Select PXE Device 1 and click -.
- Repeat the preceding step until PXE Device 1 is at the bottom of the boot menu.
- Click OK and then click Back.
- Click Finish and save the changes.
- Let the node boot into the hard drive where the operating system is installed.
- After the node comes up, ensure that the hostname is displayed as etcd-0 in the iDRAC console.
Figure 6. Master (etcd-0) iDRAC console
- Repeat the preceding steps for the remaining two master nodes, selecting etcd‑1 for the second master node and etcd-2 for the third master node.
- When all three master (etcd-*) nodes are installed and running, from the CSAH node, log in to the bootstrap node as user core and check the status of the bootkube service
[core@bootstrap ~]$ sudo journalctl -b -f -u bootkube.service
~15min or so, you should see the status of bootkube.service as complete in the logs.
Jun 01 21:12:54 bootstrap.example.lab podman: 2020-06-01 21:12:54.199899732 +0000 UTC m=+305.293213865 container remove dfcdf62f3145609d480435033b9b82a0db0c051cbc2e72765619173005029a6c (image=quay.io/openshift-release-dev/ocp-v4.0-art-dev@sha256:6e2a35073dd1fbbcab7008964626159e66d30b45219fae83b329a02bf0840238, name=loving_euler)
Jun 01 21:12:54 bootstrap.example.lab bootkube.sh: bootkube.service complete