The following steps describe how to take XVC snapshots of the PROD database:
- Create a consistency group of PROD database volumes
- Take a snapshot of the consistency group
- Map the consistency group to the XVC server
Creating a consistency group
To maintain consistency among the database files when we take the XVC snapshot of the production database, for example, we put all DATA volumes, all REDO volumes, and the FRA volume into one consistency group.
- Log in to the XtremIO Management Console.
From the XtremIO X2 management console, select the Configuration tab, click Consistency Groups. and click New(+) on the menu bar.
In the New Consistency Group window, enter a consistency group name and select all the source (PROD) database volumes where the database files are stored, as shown in the following figure. Click Apply.
In a few seconds, the consistency group (CG_PROD in this instance) is created:
Follow these steps to create a snapshot of the consistency group that you created in the previous section.
- To create an XVC snapshot of the PROD database volumes, create a repurpose copy of the consistency group that contains the PROD database volumes:
Select the PROD database’s consistency group (CG_PROD in this instance) and click Create Repurpose Copy.
- On the Create Repurpose Copy Window, specify the new Consistency Group Name (example, CG_DEV for the DEV_XVC database) and click Apply.
The repurpose copy (CG_DEV) of CG_PROD is created instantly. This CG_DEV itself is a consistency group consisting of seven snapshot volumes of the corresponding seven PROD database volumes.
To map the snapshots to the XVC server:
- Select the snapshot consistency group CG_DEV and click Mapping on the menu bar.
- Check and select the initiator group or groups (R740-HBAs in this instance) that contain the XVC database server initiators and click Next.
The Mapping Confirmation window is displayed.
- Click Apply to create the mapping and verify that the following mapping is established.
Repeat the steps Taking a snapshot of the consistency group and Mapping the snapshots to XVC server for the second snapshot database OLAP XVC.