The following figure shows the logical architecture overview of the consolidated mixed databases environment. It includes the multiple layers of infrastructure components in this Ready Solutions for Oracle with XtremIO X2 along with Data Protection using Data Domain DD6300 as the backup appliance.
Figure 1. Ready Solutions for Oracle with XtremIO X2 and Data Domain: Logical architecture overview
The server layer consists of:
- R940 PROD database servers—The production 12cR2 RAC database is deployed on two R940 PowerEdge servers running RHEL 7.4 as the bare-metal OS.
- R740 XVC databases server—The two stand-alone 12cR2 XVC databases that are repurposed from the production 12cR2 database are deployed on a single R740 PowerEdge server running RHEL7.4 as the bare-metal OS.
- R940 Virtual databases server—The two virtual OLTP databases – 11gR2 and 12cR2 – are deployed as separate VMs running RHEL 7.4 and 6.9 respectively as the guest OS. Both VMs are running on a single R940 PowerEdge server that is installed with ESXi 6.5 U2 hypervisor.
- R640 management server—The VMware vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) is deployed as a VM on a single R640 PowerEdge server running VMware ESXi 6.5 as the hypervisor.
- Each database server has:
- Two 10 GbE NICs—Two dual-port 10 GbE network adapters for Oracle public and private (PROD servers only) network traffic
- Two 16 Gbps HBAs—Two dual-port 16 Gbps Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) for SAN traffic
- 1 GbE management rNDC—At least one 1 GbE rNDC or LOM port for in-band server management from within the OS
- 1 GbE iDRAC—Dedicated iDRAC Ethernet port for out-of-band management of the server
The switch layer consists of:
- Two 10 GbE ToR switches—Redundant S4048-ON switches are top-of-rack (ToR) 10 GbE LAN switches to support the public, private, and backup traffic.
- Two 16 Gbps FC switches—Redundant DS6510-B switches for Fibre Channel (FC) SAN traffic and connectivity between the database servers and the storage array.
- One 1 GbE Management switch—Single 1U S3048-ON as the 1 GbE switch for the management traffic.
The storage layer consists of:
- Two X-Bricks XtremIO X2 array—XtremIO X2 is the FC SAN storage that consolidates all the databases. XtremIO X2 arrays consist of a two X-Bricks cluster, each with two storage controllers. Each storage controller has two front-end 16 Gbps FC ports.
- Data Domain DD6300 appliance—For database backup and recovery, the solution was tested with the DD6300 backup appliance. Two 10 GbE ports from the DD6300 appliance were connected to the ToR switches for the backup and recovery traffic.